Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cookie Monster



It's times like this that I really wish I had a walk-in pantry with a door that closes instead of a pantry with slider doors and no way to keep a very busy two year old (o.k. maybe I'm jumping the gun here, I realize he won't be officially two until Sunday) out. Initially he pointed to the box in the pantry and asked me for a cookie, to which I said "no", then he asked Sophie who (reluctantly upon my command - I say reluctantly because she is putty in that kid's hands) said "no" too. Several minutes later Sophie told me I needed to come look in the dining room. Whenever the kids say something like that, my stomach sinks just a little bit, wondering what I'm going to find. Will it be sharpie marker all over the dresser?, toothpaste ground into the carpet?, A poopie diaper taken off and left (hopefully not upside down)?, My mind starts racing. When I walked into the dining room, thankfully the diaper was still in place, but there was my little sneak of a son sitting and gorging on those forbidden cookies to his heart's content.

I started thinking back to my own childhood and what a sneak I was. I wonder if sneakiness is inherited? I did some pretty sneaky things. My mom used to keep a stash of candy underneath her bed which I would find and help myself to. My parents would notice candy missing and get upset with us. Did that stop me? Nooooo. I just knew I had to be better about acquiring my sugar fix. To throw them off my scent I would slit open the bag of candy (like M&Ms or skittles for example) in the back next to the seam, take some out, and then tape the seam and fold the flap over the tape so no one would be the wiser. Another time I pretended to be sick so I could stay home from school and look for my Christmas presents while my mom was running errands.

The funniest part about finding Phillip was that when he saw me and knew he was busted, he looked at the cookie and then held it out to offer to me. What a politician!

1 comment:

J and J Haroldsen said...

yes, this is definitely an inherited gene from his mother. dave, you don't have to take credit for this one. kim, you were a great teacher of this too! love you!