Thursday, June 5, 2008

What a Difference a Year Makes!



As of 3:45 pm Friday, May 30, the kids were officially done with school for the year. I thought it would be fun to take a picture of them on their last day and then compare and contrast with the one I took on their first day of school. Wow! I can't believe how much they've changed. Older, wiser, taller, braces (on two of them, and don't worry Ryan, I'm sure you'll get your chance to deplete my Hawaii fund in the not too distant future), and oh yes, following in the footsteps of their mother and becoming blind as bats! Let's hope the thick glasses trend lasts awhile, although I can already see the disgusted looks on their kids' faces when they look at these pictures and can't believe people actually ever wore those!!! I think I'm also going to get dirty looks from Sophie for posting this picture of her with her eyes closed. I had a better one of the three of them, but accidentally deleted it (Hey, I never said I was good at this camera stuff).

Some highlights of the school year:

Sophie:
~Kicking some academic butt and getting on the honor roll every grading period.
~Singing in the school choir and getting a minor solo at the "Breakfast with Santa" performance.
~Not following in her mother's footsteps and doing every single assigned project the day it was assigned instead of the night before it was due.
~Running in (and finishing before several adults) the school's 5K race (she was actually the only student from the whole school who ran this race).
~Completing a year of dance (with Maddie), culminated with three performances at the recital.

Maddie:
~Getting to read to the first graders (Ryan's class, actually) everyday.
~Participated in and was a finalist in her second grade spelling bee.
~Sneaking her mother's razor and shaving her legs. O.k. maybe that's not an academic highlight, but she's pretty proud of herself for that one (Refer to previous post for where "sneaking gene"might have come from).
~Not being made to do a violin solo in the school talent show, but getting to perform a dance/cheer number with her sister and 6 other girls instead. For a picture of their too cute outfits they wore for this, see above picture. At least she's got a violin on her shirt. What? That's a guitar? La la la la la. I can't hear you! Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go write another hefty check for violin lessons.
~Being baptized and joining Sophie at Activity Days.

Ryan:
~Graduating from being Mrs. Hale's (his Kindergarten teacher) favorite to being Mr. Checkett's (His first grade teacher) favorite. O.K. They might not neccessarily admit to it, but Ryan's pretty convinced that's the case. We're looking into self-esteem workshops for him.
~Getting his oh, so cool new glasses. I was a little apprehensive when he picked them out, but then when I saw the price tag of $10 for the frames, I was sold. He's somewhat of a trend setter as the girls both saw and heard the raves he got for them and have since jumped on that band wagon too. Ryan is nothing if not style!
~Performing in the school talent show. I've got to figure out how to get that on youtube. It was something! While he followed the formula for a successful number (pick a popular song-- insert something Hannah Montana here-- and dance to it), he choreographed the performance without parental input (a unique component of his particular event).
~Starting Karate, where he has now advanced to orange belt, and at times displays surprising attention and focus. He also uses it as a warning, as in "Are you sure you want me to take a time out? Because I know karate....."

1 comment:

J and J Haroldsen said...

hurray for summer!! love this pics!!