
Sophie, you got to go out with me and dad this month for date night. Since Phillip's not quite yet in the rotation, you get your chance every three months. This was your third "date night" this year. In January we went bowling which was a lot of fun, but you got so frustrated. We had just gotten a Nintendo Wii for Christmas and you were getting really good at the Wii bowling game in the sports package that comes with the system. You could not understand how your Wii bowling skills were not translating to the real game. Both dad and I are competitive, but I think you might have inherited my competitive coping skills, which are basically non-existent. You got so mad at that bowling game and were so hard on yourself. Even if you didn't bowl as great as you might have wanted, you did get free nachos out of the deal. The server mistakenly placed them in our bowling area and before your dad or I noticed, you assumed they were for us and had started digging in.

In April we went and saw the movie "Nim's Island". It was a cute story and of course the popcorn and drink made it even better. Afterwards we went to Texas Roadhouse for a late dinner. I think that might be your new favorite restaurant.

This month was a lot of fun. We had a "date day". We went on a bike ride over to Subway and got sandwiches. Then we rode our bikes over to a park to eat them and relax. Afterwards we biked around some more and then headed back to the house. You're a lot of fun to be with. I keep wondering how much longer you'll actually enjoy our date nights. I wonder when the day will come that you'll be embarrassed by us and it won't be cool to hang out with us anymore. Part of me hopes that day will never come and the other part of me keeps reminding the idealistic part of me of times in my youth when I was mortified by the thought of being seen in public with my parents. Then the idealistic part of me reminds the other part of me that I like being with my parents again and I look forward to any time I get to be with them at all and then I'm comforted to know that even if you do go through that stage, hopefully one day it will all be o.k. again.

I really enjoy the e-mails that we've started sending each other back and forth. You know how to put a smile on my face. I remember when you were a baby and you were so difficult. I'm sure the stress of being a first-time mom didn't help matters, but you cried a lot. We even took you to urgent care once when you were first born because we were sure that something MUST be wrong for you to cry incessantly the way your were. I don't want to dwell on that, but I think about it and I would do it all over again. You are a great kid. I hope you always remember that. I must have made some pretty big promises in heaven to deserve you. Thanks for your patience with me. It's not easy being the oldest child. Thanks for being you and for all that you contribute to our family. We love you, babe. Can't wait 'til our next date night (or day).
No comments:
Post a Comment