I had a really rotten day on Monday. I got an email that shook me to my core and I cried and cried and cried some more. I started to question some of the things in the email and then everything about myself. Was I not a good mother, friend, wife, yw president, person? Maybe I was doing it all wrong. I really let it affect me and depress me. My poor kids kept seeing my tear stained face and asking "are you o.k., mom?" "What's wrong". I definitely do not have a good poker face and can't conceal my feelings very well.
The next morning I woke up a little worse for the wear, but feeling a little better, got the kids off to school, but still couldn't shake a lot of the emotion from the previous day and then I had an amazing experience.
First I got a call from a friend who is going through quite a personal crisis in her life. Throughout the conversation she would say the nicest things to me which really uplifted me. I was so impressed and touched that even in the midst of trials she was reaching out to others (in this case, me) and serving them with her words of kindness. I thought, that is the key to happiness - forgetting myself or my problems and reaching out to others. I know this, but so easily forget it when it comes time to apply it.
No sooner had I hung up the phone with that friend, then another good friend of mine called that I don't get to talk to very often. She is the epitome of happiness and optimism. You can't help but feel better about life after talking with her. After our conversation I did feel better. I truly felt the tender mercies of the Lord. He can't take away all the painful things that might come into our lives, but he can provide experiences to remind us of his love for us. And really even though they are painful, trials can be building blocks for us to become stronger and more like the Savior. We can't have rainbows without a little rain.
7 comments:
I'm sorry you had a rotten day. It makes me sad to hear that you questioned yourself, because you are a wonderful mom, wife, friend, and example. You are such a beautiful woman, inside and out. I am glad that you have good friends, and that you have great trust in the Lord. You really are wonderful...don't let anyone or anything convince you otherwise.
Interesting that it was said in an e-mail.?.? Kim, of all the people I have ever met, your Christ-like spirit is one I will never forget. Do not dispair, lift up your heart and believe Christ can lift the burden.
Interesting that it was said in an e-mail.?.? Kim, of all the people I have ever met, your Christ-like spirit is one I will never forget. Do not dispair, lift up your heart and believe Christ can lift the burden.
I know we talked about this already but I want you to know how much I love you. I really do consider my sisters my best friends. You are a great example to me and our family. I loved having you all to myself when Livvy was born and truly cherished the time that we got to spend together. You are wonderful, beautiful, funny, selfless, caring, considerate, charitable, an awesome sister, a fabulous mother, a great friend, and loving to all of us.
Someone that could say even one negative thing about you has some serious problems. You are a remarkable woman who has influenced my life for good. I miss you way more than I've ever shared (I'm not very good at that) and I wish we could see each other more often. Let's plan another trip together - want to go to Australia?
well if you ever have a rotten day like that again, you can call me and I will tell you how wonderful you are. I think you are the coolest!
AMie
My dear friend! You have such a great attitude! The Lord loves you so much. I too have to say that you are one of the most in tune and spiritual friends I have. I remember going to your home so many times and feeling the spirit of peace in your home. You are awesome!
Post a Comment