Monday, February 15, 2010

Maddie Turns 10!

I'm not quite sure how it is that Maddie is 10 years old now. Wasn't it just yesterday that she looked like this?
Maddie definitely has her own sense of style. I love that she doesn't really care what other people are doing. She wants to do her own thing and she's confident in that. She really wanted me to buy her a special birthday hat that she could wear to school all day. Here it is:

Eating breakfast in bed (waffles with strawberries and whipped cream):

Opening presents:

The cake!!
Joan helped me make this cake. We tried a new frosting recipe that I got off of the Food Network. Doug and Joan loved it. My kids were less enamored. I don't think it was sweet enough for them (which is probably why Doug and Joan did like it). But it sure was beautiful. Joan put her magical finishing touches on it to make it gorgeous!
Maddie wanted a cooking birthday party this year. Since it was around Christmas time, we thought it would be fun to make gingerbread houses. Each girl got their own kit to decorate. It was a lot of fun. The only snafu was that I assumed the frosting for the kit would come pre-made.....it didn't. So we were scrambling right before the guests arrived to make all of the frosting and get the structures put together so the girls could just worry about the decorating. Thankfully Joan was there and my two good friends, Erin and Sharla helped too when they came to drop their girls off. Lesson learned: Read the directions thoroughly BEFORE party start time!

1 comment:

Tami said...

She is fantastic! The thing I love most about Maddie is that she is one of the most thoughtful and kind friends Elisabeth has ever had. I am so grateful our girls have each other as friends. Miss you guys! Love you!