This year I needed a night away (I could have used SEVERAL nights away, but I'll take what I can get), so we got one of my amazing Laurels (Aubree, you are the best, how can I ever repay you?) from church to come spend the night with the kids and Dave and I went out on the town.
First we went and saw the Second City 50th Anniversary tour (you know the one that's based out of Chicago from where a lot of Saturday Night Live actors hail?). It was very good and funny, although at times I cringed from the some of the language and content - why must they include those things? It would still be funny without the vulgarity!!!
After that we went to the mall to kill some time while we waited for our dinner reservation. Apparently 13 is the wool year, because we ended up buying Dave a new suit-won't he look dapper?
Yummy, yummy, yummy dinner at Ruth's Chris. My first time and oh my, you've never had steak until you've had one of theirs. My mouth is watering thinking of it. Pricey place though, definitely a special occasion restaurant. I had to wonder where some people get their money though, because we saw one family there with their young kids. We overheard the waiter ask them if they were there for a special occasion and they said "no". Seriously? Does money grow on trees at your house? Oh and, Sophie, Maddie, Ryan, and Phillip, if you're reading this...Don't get any ideas!

We got to stay at the Marriott hotel inside historic Union Station for the night and it was incredible. I forgot my camera, so I got these pictures off the internet to show how cool it looks inside and out. Union Station is an old railroad station that has been converted to a shopping mall and it also houses the Marriott hotel where we stayed. I love the barrel-vaulted ceiling in the grand hall. The Grand Hall is now the Marriott Hotel's lobby and lounge area. It has sweeping archways, fresco and gold leaf detailing, mosaics and art glass windows. I'm sure when the station first opened in 1894, it made a huge impression to travelers from all over. It definitely still has that effect today.
I learned while looking for pictures to use that this "Allegorical Window," is a hand-made stained glass window with hand-cut Tiffany glass strategically positioned above the Station's main entryway. The window features three women representing the main U.S. train stations during the 1890s -- New York, St. Louis and San Francisco. So beautiful. You learn something new every day...
4 comments:
Happy Anniversary!!! Cannot believe you have been married for 13 years! You are so old! I keep mentioning it, but have yet to receive a response about Hawaii for the 15th anniversary! You in? Or do we need to make it 20? We love you both! Congratulations on living and loving for 13 incredible years!
Happy Anniversary! I want to be part of the next Hawaii Anniversary trip! Last time we were without work... So fun to see the great pictures. Kim, you look great! Good for you for taking a night to get away and enjoy being together. Happy Anniversary you guys! Love ya!
Happy anniversary indeed! That looks so amazing! So much better than the bed and breakfast we stayed at where we finally had to leave at 1 a.m. because of the bugs crawling on us in our bed... seriously ewwwwwww. Glad you had a good time!
Congrats! You're getaway sounds perfect. We're so much alike, we're the same age & we've both been married the same # of years!
Post a Comment