Sunday, October 24, 2010

Family Bike Ride

I'm so glad it didn't rain yesterday like it was supposed to. At 5:30 in the morning when I had to get up to go meet some friends to run, I really wished it were raining. I really wanted to go back to bed. That is one of the reasons that someone like me needs a group of friends to run with. Without them I would not run nearly as much, although I would get a lot more sleep. When it was over, I was really glad that I did get up to go running and that the rain stayed away. We ran on part of the Katy trail and it was so lovely that I decided to take my family back there in the afternoon for a bike ride.

After much grumbling from the peanut gallery, we finally convinced everyone that this might actually be fun. Yes, you can actually have fun without a video game strapped to your hands. Yes, you can actually have fun without spending a lot of money. Yes you can actually have fun being with your whole family.

We rode down the trail about three miles, ate a picnic lunch and had some yummy frozen treats from a bike shop along the trail, and then went back. The weather was beautiful. The trees were majestic. I loved the sound and feel of the breeze as it blew more leaves off of the trees and then the sound of them crunching under the bike's tires. We got to see some hawks overhead and a cool looking snake along the trail (only cool because I quickly rode past it). It was beautiful to ride through the trail as tree tops along either side stretched toward each other over head, forming a beautiful arch. I love the old bike shop building where we got our treats. It's an old house converted into a shop and has such charm. I hope we can do that again soon before the weather turns too cold.


3 comments:

Tami said...

What great pics! What a great idea for Saturday family time! Love the bike you have for Phillip. So much fun!

Crystal Hunter said...

That looks like fun. You probably won't believe this, but I grew up in St. Louis but I've never been to the Katy Trail.

Meg said...

That morning run was so fun. I can't believe that nobody else was taking advantage of the trail when we did. They missed out.
Funny thing, we went back to the trail as well later that day. We walked with the kids. Jack was soooooooooo bummed when it was time to go back to the car.
I'm planning a trail run this weekend but will plan another when you can come.
Have a fun "Christmas". ;)