So, to try and make sure that did not happen again this year we had a family meeting early on in the year and all decided together that this instead of gifts, we wanted to give a memory. So we all decided to go on a family trip and the consensus was that this trip would be to Disney World and Universal Studios. The tricky part was picking out a time that would work with our busy schedule. We didn't want to go right at Christmas when it's really busy there, and we didn't want to go in the hot months. We left the family meeting with the idea that we would probably go sometime in early 2011.
Well, right away I knew that the kids had a long weekend over the Halloween holiday for teacher conferences so Dave and I booked everything for that time without telling the kids. We wanted it to be a surprise. Last night we set up a small Christmas tree and wrapped their park tickets in Christmas paper and make little travel packs for each of them. I made a yummy traditional Christmas breakfast and this morning we woke them up with Christmas music.
Sophie came down as we were finishing up things and in her sleepy stupor saw the Christmas tree and asked if it was Christmas. We told her that it was and to go wake everyone else up. She was so funny because as she was going back upstairs to get everyone she kept asking if she was dreaming. She was a little confused.
All of the kids were a little confused. They were excited to be opening presents, but didn't really understand what was going on. Finally they got it that would be leaving TODAY for the trip and then when they found out that we would actually be flying instead of driving, they acted like it was almost better than the trip itself. Needless to say we are all very excited and have a fun week to look forward to.
Here are a few things for which I am oh, so thankful:
1. Early Christmas
2. Surprises.
4. Sheer joy (if you can't tell by the pic, Sophie and Maddie are jumping up and down after realizing that we would be flying instead of driving).
7 comments:
That is so awesome! I love this idea. I hope you have a wonderful time. I'll be thinking about you and wishing I was there too :)
You brought tears to my eyes. Funny me. What a great idea! I know you told me you were gonna go, but I don't remember when you were going. This will be an awesome week! Have so much fun! Merry Christmas you guys! Love ya!
OMG! this is so creative and really make a child's dream come true maybe even to older kids.
I have 3 kids ages 9,7 & 5. and they also want to go to disneyworld, but we cannot afford it now since we just migrated from Philippines 2 yrs ago. We just explained to them our situation and someday we will go there.
you're right about giving presents during Chistmas, it's like a requirement or obligation that you shld give presents without realizing what Christmas really is all about.
the first time we celebrated Xmas here I can really see the difference on how it is celebrated compared back home. Maybe I just missed how we celebrate it.
This idea is unique and great! maybe in the future if time and money permit I will surprise my kids also just the way you did.
Take care and God bless!
I'm so glad you posted about it already. You are so on the ball. I was so excited for all of you today. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.
What a great gift! You are the best- and so creative. :) Have a wonderful time!
wow! coolness:-) added you link to my blog...
Post a Comment