I had so much fun making this diaper cake for a friend's baby shower this year. I've seen them before, and always thought they looked hard to make, but I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
Step 1: Cut out a circular base out of an old pizza box and covered it with cute wrapping paper to match (here it's hard to see, but it's black with a cute white leaf design)
Step 2: Get several (I think I used over 70, can't remember exactly now) WHITE (not all brands are white, some have colored prints and don't look as good for the cake effect. I used pampers) diapers and roll them up tightly and secure them with small rubber bands.

Step 3: Get something to use as your center base (here you can see I used a large bottle of baby powder. Put a large rubber band around your bottle and start tucking the diapers under the rubber band for the first row. The second and third rows will not fit under the center rubber band, so just line the diapers up around the center and secure with string. The first "cake" level has three rows of diapers. The second will have two, and the top level with have one.

Step 4: After completing the second level, get a used toilet paper roll and add to top of baby powder bottle (this fit perfectly) and you can use it as a "vase" for decorating later.
Step 5: Finish the last level same as the other two. You are now ready to decorate your "cake". You can use ribbon to cover the rubber bands and string. Use double-sided tape to adhere ribbon to ribbon, so it doesn't stick to diapers. I also added some shredded tissue paper to each layer to make it look like frosting and to also cover the rolled up diapers a bit better.

And....ta da! The finished cake. It turned out so cute, I need more people to get pregnant so I can make another one!

2 comments:
Beautiful! You are amazing! I miss ya!
That's AWESOME! I love it :) Thanks for the directions.... maybe someday I'll attempt it :)
Post a Comment