
So now that the kids are in school again, it's just Phillip and me and since his preferred playmates are no longer at his disposal, I've been recruited to play
Legos, memory, and Buzz
Lightyear to name a few. Last week he wanted to play
play dough and when I got the bucket out, I realized how old and yucky the
play dough in there was. I didn't feel like going to the store to buy more, so I went to my trusty recipe books to find a homemade version and voila! Homemade
play dough. It's way more pliable than the store bought kind, not to mention TONS cheaper. I don't know why I didn't discover this little gem 12 years ago. Not only did Phillip and I have a blast with it for the better part of the afternoon, but when the kids got home, they all wanted to play with it and wanted me to make different colors (which I readily did-good mom points!).

Stir it really well (the chocolate milk mustache adds a nice touch)

Add food coloring

The perfect "Buzz
Lightyear" colors

Decorating the Christmas Tree
Here's the recipe if you want to make some too. Just be careful when you first start to knead it, because it is HOT!
Play dough1 c. flour
1 c. water
2 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. cream of tartar or albumin
Cook and stir until it turns into a ball. Knead until smooth. Add food coloring. Keep in a Ziploc bag. Works well to double recipe too. Enjoy hours of fun1
3 comments:
That looks fun!
Hey Kim - Thanks for your too kind comments about my blogging habits. And for the record - after the kids go to bed the chocolate calls my name too.
We're having a rainy day here with Grandma and Grandpa and so we decided to make some play dough. Thanks for the recipe!
Love your posts - no matter how frequent they are.
Love and hugs from everyone here in Switzerland.
Thanks for NOT discovering this 12 years ago because it probably would've ended up in my carpet! Just kidding. Looks like you and Phillip had a blast. I'm thinking my girls aren't too old for us to add this activity to our homeschool curiculum--it looks so fun. Where'd you get the awesome food color?
Post a Comment