Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Some Books I've Read This Summer

I did not know much at all about the life of Mrs. Lincoln and found this book to be a very interesting read. She was a fascinating lady. The press and elite Washington hated her and vilified her every move. She was quite eccentric at times, but still I cannot imagine having to lose my husband, three of my four sons, and then my fourth son committing me to an insane asylum. Biographies can be dry but this kept my attention and fascination for the era.
I really enjoyed this book. It sheds some light on a very dark part of American history-the Japanese internment camps. It's a young adult fiction book, so it was very clean and tame, but it still opened my eyes to the prejudices that existed during World War II. It is also a coming of age book from the perspective of a teenage girl named Remy. I loved the relationship she had with her father, it evoked a lot of feelings for me of my own father.
I'm usually not terribly interested in autobiographies, because I guess I bore easily, but I had a lot of time on a few road trips this summer, so I tried to tackle this one that came highly recommended to me by both my Dad and Dave. I really liked learning a lot about Larry H. Miller. He had quite an upbringing and some interesting things that shaped him as a father, a business man and a man of faith.
I saved the best for last. I loved this book. I did not want it to end. It was so beautifully written. I usually don't have time to read during the day. If I'm not too exhausted when I flop into bed, I will try to read. I'm lucky if I get in a page or two before I'm out like a light. This was not the case with this book. I was up one night reading it until 3:30am. and during the day I would search for any moment I could steal away to read more. The characters are so touching and the story is so riveting. Even though it is fictional, it gives you a great sense of what life is like (and has been like over the past 40 or so years for women in Afghanistan. I not only grew a greater appreciation for the blessing of being a women in America, and all of the rights and privileges that I enjoy, but I gained a greater appreciation for my amazing husband and family. This is a must read!

1 comment:

Suze said...

I also really enjoyed A Thousand Splendid Suns. Great book!