Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer lovin' had me a blast. Summer lovin' HAPPENED SO FAST

I guess the last time I blinked, I must've paused just a little longer than usual, because I strictly remember it being the kids' last day of school, and yet somehow, earlier this week, they just started a new year (Someone please tell me we're at least still in the year 2010). Time is eluding me. I feel like I'm in this hour glass with the sands of time falling all around me, choking me as I'm trying to stop up the opening to no avail.

I feel like I'm always trying to catch up on this blog like the proverbial dog chasing his tail.

An interesting, although annoying side-note: I have a sister-in-law who also blogs...REGULARLY. I mean like two, three, sometimes four times a week. (p.s. you should check it out, she's a lot of fun to read) AND she just had a baby. Does this woman ever sleep?!?! I'm lucky if I remember to brush my teeth. If and when I get a chance to blog, well that's just a bonus. A rare, rare bonus. My poor mother-in-law who sees (and raves about) this said sister-in-law's posts must be wondering why I can't seem to keep up. I guess I'll have to console myself with the fact that I've given her four amazing grandchildren who keep me so crazy busy some days that all I can think about when they finally go to bed at night is 1. Chocolate, 2. More chocolate, and 3. How quickly I can get some shut-eye. Maybe one day Kathy (fabulous sister-in-law) will teach me all her secrets, but for now you'll all just have to take what you can get.

Anyway, I digress. Lots-o goings on this summer, so without further ado, here is a recap of some of our happenings:
Over Memorial Day weekend we went to Bull Shoals (by the Missouri/Arkansas border) with the Rodaboughs and the Hoyts. This is the second year we've done this and we had such a great time. I love these little rustic cabins (so much character). We had a blast tubing, water skiing (I actually got up and stayed up--someone call Guinness), eating, playing games, and just being surrounded by good friends.
Thanks for bringing the boat, again! We love you, Hoyts!
In early July we got to go to South Haven again (third year in a row-are we creatures of habit, or what?). Unfortunately this time Brian, Kathy, and family were not able to make it on account of being in Switzerland (excuses, excuses). Mike also was unable to make it on account of being too cool for us. But we had a great time with Grandma Joan and Papa Doug. We spent lots and lots of time at the beach and one day we got to go on these sand dune jeep rides. They were a lot of fun.

O.K. so I wanted to include a bunch of other pictures from our trip to Michigan, but for some reason all but these few got deleted. Not exactly sure how that happened (a certain four year old with a penchant for anything with buttons and other mischief comes to mind...). But suffice it to say that like the past two years (and hopefully years to come), we had a blast. Thank you Grandma Joan and Papa Doug for a great time! And thank you, weather, for your fabulous cooperation-the sun, the sand, the water...Ahhh!
Ooh, cool side note: Behind the office where we checked in for the jeep ride were these REALLY cool, REALLY old former motel units where the movie "Road to Perdition" (with Tom Hanks) was filmed.
Also in July we got to go out to Utah for what has become our bi-annual Pulsipher Family reunion (more on that in future post). Before and after the reunion we got to stay with my Saint-of-a-sister, Jen, and her husband, Joe, and their family.
I say "saint" because not only did she put up with the likes of us for several days, but she totally planned the reunion this year (it rocked Jen, thank you so much for all that you did), while raising five beautiful children, one of which (Leah-3 years old) has Smith-Magenis Syndrome as well as a 1 1/2 year old (Livvy) who keeps her just as busy if not more. Thankfully her three oldest kiddos (Carter, Meg, and Emily) are huge helps to her, but I know she is exhausted, and yet she puts a smile on her face and makes me feel like she's happy that I'm invading her space (maybe she was an actress in a former life). I love her. I miss her. I hope I get to see her again soon.
Leah

Livvy

And lastly, to round out our summer, we had a great visit from some great friends that we came to know and love while living in Texas-The Lopez Family. They now live in Virginia and were out in Utah visiting family. On their way back they stopped off at our house for a couple of nights. It's amazing how even though it's been years since we've seen each other, the kids are older, bigger, and we might be a little more gray, it seems like no time has passed at all. We count ourselves lucky to have such good friends.

Apparently I had SO much fun visiting that I neglected to take many photos (sorry Drew and Austin, we really do love you even though we have no photos to prove it).
Phillip, Ryan, and Tyler (three peas in a pod...a pod of lots and lots of mischief)
Tammy and me and my fabulous "I-just-got-out-of-bed" look.
Maddie and Elisabeth, or as they renamed themselves: "Be-Fri" (Maddie) and "st-iends" (Elisabeth) per the new necklaces they are each sporting. Two better friends there never were
Miss Audrey. This is a photo taken (without my knowledge or permission, I might add) by Phillip. Since I was such a lousy picture-taker, I figured I had to include it. The Kool-Aid mustache really polishes off the look!

3 comments:

Tami said...

So fun to read about your fun summer and see all the great pics. We are so glad we got to stop by and visit and wish that we could have stayed longer too. How nice to have such friends that it always feels like we haven't ever been apart whenever we reunite. Love the pictures! We love you all!

John and Jenny said...

I am thinking that you saw yourselves some Nortons as well! Rude - even though we didn't take pictures doesn't mean that we weren't part of your summer!

J and J Haroldsen said...

Hey, those are some awesome posts! I miss you. We loved having you all here! Can you come again soon?