Monday, November 8, 2010

Getting There

When I was 9 years old, I flew on an airplane for the first time. I thought flying was so cool. The flight was overseas on our way to live in Europe. My Dad had accepted an assignment in Switzerland for his company for 3-5 years and we got to tag along. these are a few things I remember about that first flight: getting very sick and sleeping for a good portion of it; thinking airline food served on little trays was so cool even though in my weakened state I couldn't stomach much of it; these little travel packs they handed out that had goodies in them, like fuzzy footies in case your feet got cold. I remember that even though we were in the "no smoking" section of the airplane, smoke would inevitably drift over to us anyway and my mom not liking that too much.

A lot has changed since those days of flying, but one thing remains the same; When you're a kid, flying is cool. Thankfully my kids don't have to deal with smoking or non-smoking sections of the airplane and no one got sick. They don't think about the endless germs that are lurking around every corner. They do love getting to sit by the window and look out as we take off and then look down at the clouds as we soar above them. They love to pull down their trays and push back their seats. They love the peanuts (long gone are the days of meals....at least at the fares we're willing to pay) and soda in cups of ice. They actually like using the bathrooms. They love watching for our luggage to come by on the conveyor belt once we land. They love the shuttle to and from the car and getting to stand up and hold onto the bar instead of sitting in a seat. Yes, when you're a kid (and even an adult), flying is pretty cool.

Driving to the airport:

Getting ready for take-off:

Resting up:
Disney World, here we come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi!
after reading this i remember the time we flew here in Canada from the Philippines. We migrated 2 yrs ago. We were excited esp. the kids but it's a long flight 3 hrs from Manila to Hongkong, then 14 hrs. from Hongkong to Toronto. I was worried my kids will be restless during our flight. LUckily, there's an LCD Screen. The kids were entertained.

Tami said...

What a great memory! You are so wise to remember to document the flying. Your kids are going to remember this trip forever!