Friday, November 5, 2010

Thankful Thursday

We just got back from our trip to Disney World. It was an early Christmas present for our family. We had a blast (I'll post more later). But what I realized time and time again on this trip is that trips, especially family trips are not always "vacations" if you know what I mean. They are stressful. There's a lot that goes into making sure things go the way you want them to go.

Did I pack enough underwear for everyone? Did I pack weather appropriate clothes? What if the weather changes? Do I have the right kinds of medicine for everyone? And then, packing aside, there are the hotel arrangements and the rental car situation and do I need to bring sun screen with us today? Did I bring the tickets? Did I bring enough cash, etc., etc., etc. If you've ever traveled with family, you know what I mean. Unfortunately, when you're considering all of the variables, you get a little stressed out and when you get a little stressed out the stress shifts to the whole group. Thankfully I have an amazing husband who knows me and knows how I worry and want everything to go well. He tries so hard to try to alleviate some of the stresses I feel.

So, this week I'd like to mention a few of the things Dave did this week for which I'm so very grateful. He really helped me to relax, let go of a lot of the things over which I have no control. Take some of the other things into his own control and really make this a wonderful trip. Thanks honey. I don't know how you put up with me, but I'm glad you do and I love you!

1. Working your tail off so that you would have enough Marriott points to get our hotel stay for the entire week for free.

2. Once we got to the hotel (after a $60 cab ride), realizing that my anxiety level was peaking and offering to walk over a mile to the car rental agency so we would have our own transportation for the week and not have to solely rely on taxis and the not-very-frequent hotel shuttle.

3. Going to Wal-Mart by yourself (and letting me relax at the hotel and go to bed) to get groceries for the week.

4. Making and packing all of the lunches every morning for the parks so we wouldn't have to shell out a small fortune for food while there (thus allowing me a few extra minutes of shut-eye).

5. Carrying Phillip (and sometimes even Ryan) on your shoulders time and time and time again when he was too tired to stand in line on his own.

6. Buying me my own supply of Diet Coke to enjoy at the end of a long and tiring day.

7. Unpacking all of the suitcases when we got home, putting everything away and starting the laundry.

7 comments:

John and Jenny said...

Wow! He certainly sets the bar high for all of the other husbands out there! Cannot wait to tell John. I hope you had lovely moments and made brilliant memories! Next time we want to come.

Kathy said...

Hey Kim and Dave - I think your kids are going to remember that surprise moment forever. I couldn't stop thinking about it after your last post - I just kept thinking how cool it must have been for the kids and also for you to watch their excitement. Now I really want to surprise our kids in the same way when they are a little older.

Glad you had a great trip - we can't wait to see you all at Christmas time.

- Kathy

Kara and Chant said...

WOW, he amazing! Glad you had a good time. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Meg said...

Aren't good husbands the best?!?! It always reaffirms to me the purpose in The Plan and why marriage is between a man and a woman.
You have a great husband and I'm so glad he helped you like he did.

Tami said...

What a great trip! Can't wait to hear more about it, and yeah, Dave is pretty amazing! What a gem and good for you to focus on all he does to bless and help your family! Love ya!

J and J Haroldsen said...

You've got it made sista! love you!

brian said...

Blah blah blah. Dave is just pretending. The quiet ones are like that. You don't know him well enough yet. Sure it's been 17 years but I've known him for 35.

Brian